MottoWear Kira X Grey – Stylish Kevlar, Armored Riding Street Jeans
Originally Published: March 2014
I have not given up on the search for women’s motorcycle riding jeans with the look, protection and price that I want, and when I saw the Kira X Grey by MottoWear at the AIMExpo in Orlando Florida, I thought they might be a viable option.
Many riding jeans for women try too hard to look cute or don’t try hard enough and and make me feel frumpy. I like the low cut, skinny fit and simple details of the Kira X Grey by MottoWear. The Kevlar protection is hidden in all the right places and there are pockets and tabs for knee and hip armor attachment. They are competitively priced at $145, I have seen similar jeans for nearly twice that. Besides, how could I pass a sales pitch like this one:
Halucinant allure? Bootylicous?
Where do I sign up?!?! Of course, I ordered a pair right away.
- The sizes are European and run small compared to most American sizing. I would typically wear from a size 0 to 2 and the size 4 fit me, even with the hip armor uninstalled.
- The waist is very low, there is only a 2″ zipper.
- The legs are skinny and widen slightly at the bottom for boots. They are long, I would say tall, which is good, because its easy to alter the length and make them shorter, locally it only cost me ten dollars to get them hemmed. I strongly recommend washing and air drying the jeans, jumping on your bike with your boots on and getting into your riding position, slide side to side to make sure you get the length you want. Mark them with a safety pin and and take them for alterations. Mine are longer than my everyday jeans.
COLOR AND CONSTRUCTION
- The color is a dark cool grey with a slightly worn look and matching stitching.
- The riding jeans feel durable, thick and soft. They may get a little warm on a hot day, but I will wear year round here in Florida. They look and feel like a high end pair of jeans.
- Soft cotton exterior layer.
- I machine washed and laid the jeans flat to dry. They did not shrink, and held up perfectly.
- Attention to detail is evident
FEATURES AND PROTECTION
- The knee armor pocket design allows the armor to be adjusted to your height, not touch your skin and be seamless on the exterior of the jeans. Knee armor is included.
- There are two Velcro type tabs for hip armor. Hip armor not included, but available. I purchased the optional hip armor by Knox. It is quite thick and sticks up above the waist of the jean, I am not happy with that. I had some hip armor from another pair of pants, and I was able to switch them to my Kira Jeans and was satisfied with the fit and protection.
- There is a hidden flap on the back to prevent sun exposure from the low rise of the jean and a short jacket. It has no abrasion protection though, so best to wear a long jacket.
- Pockets and belt loops! Just like jeans, but hard to find in protective riding pants.
- There is a soft layer of cotton fabric between the Kevlar and your skin, the logo pattern is a nice touch.
- Nicely done small metallic logo on the back pocket.
Overall, I really like The Kira X Grey Jeans by MottoWear, they are soft and comfortable enough that I was able to wear them a full day at work with the armor removed and no one knew they were not standard jeans. They stretch well through the turns and the armor stays in place. I like the fit and style and I will buy another pair when they have new colors.
The promise of the catalog to make me “bootylicous” didn’t really happen, maybe something was lost in translation. Regardless of claims, If you like the style of low-rise jeans, and want all the protection of a Kevlar, armored riding pant, the Kira X may be for you.
Shown below after length alteration, provided knee armor and my own hip armor both installed.
Lining with soft 100% DuPontTM Kevlar® for the hips, thighs, backside and knees
• Ready for optional hip protectors (easily fixed using Velcro)
• Removable / adjustable SAS-TEC CE protectors for the knee
• Made from the best grey quality stretch denim
• Popular fitting styles for women
• Cut long legs
• Extra strong zip used (YKK)
• Fully machine washable and breathable
• Available in XS-XL